Limited domain a compromise, but much better than RAND

From: Eric Kidd <eric.kidd@pobox.com>
Date: 31 Dec 2002 15:55:57 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

I work as an open source / free software developer.  I've written a
number of packages, include xmlrpc-c and CustomDNS, and I'm currently
working on an open source multimedia package.

I disapprove of software patents in general, and I'm adamantly opposed
to patents on web standards in particular.  However, I'm willing to
accept the W3C's Royalty Free policy, including the limited field-of-use
patent grants (provided these don't turn into a major loophole in the
policy).

While I respect the Free Software Foundation--and generally agree with
their opinions on patents--I can probably live with the compromise in
the present proposal.

Sincerely,
Eric