Who understands section 6 of RF Reqs?

From: Peter Berenyi <ber@sa.eol.hu>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:04:14 +0100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

http://www.w3.org/TR/patent-policy/#sec-Requirements

In W3C Royalty-Free (RF) Licensing Requirements, section 6 you wrote:

--- Begin SNIP
[With respect to a Recommendation developed under this policy, a W3C
Royalty-Free license shall mean a non-assignable, non-sublicensable
license to make, have made, use, sell, have sold, offer to sell, import,
and distribute and dispose of implementations of the Recommendation
that:]
[...]
6. may be suspended with respect to any licensee when licensor is sued
by licensee for infringement of claims essential to implement any W3C
Recommendation;
--- End of SNIP

I thougt I understood plain English pretty well, but this section is
beyond me. Am I alone? Would anyone explain what it is supposed to mean
in practice?

If it means that an RF license which a W3C Recommendation is based on
can be suspended any time using some legal buggering around, it is
clearly unacceptable.

Peace,
Peter

--