Who understands section 6 of RF Reqs?

From: Peter Berenyi <ber@sa.eol.hu>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:04:14 +0100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

In W3C Royalty-Free (RF) Licensing Requirements, section 6 you wrote:

--- Begin SNIP
[With respect to a Recommendation developed under this policy, a W3C
Royalty-Free license shall mean a non-assignable, non-sublicensable
license to make, have made, use, sell, have sold, offer to sell, import,
and distribute and dispose of implementations of the Recommendation
6. may be suspended with respect to any licensee when licensor is sued
by licensee for infringement of claims essential to implement any W3C
--- End of SNIP

I thougt I understood plain English pretty well, but this section is
beyond me. Am I alone? Would anyone explain what it is supposed to mean
in practice?

If it means that an RF license which a W3C Recommendation is based on
can be suspended any time using some legal buggering around, it is
clearly unacceptable.

Peter Berenyi
Systems Administrator
email: ber@sa.eol.hu