RF patent restriction is insufficient.

From: Richard Smith <rgs26@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:02:25 +0000
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

I'd like to add my voice to the crowd of objectors over the patent poilcy
decision to allow patents on standards which are royalty-free only on a
restricted subset of possible uses. By adding such a clause, you are
effectively blocking GPL'd implementations of your standards (browsers such
as Konqueror would be unable to omply without invalidating their license). I
believe it is your responsibility, as the body recognised as the definer of
web standards, that you ensure such standards are implementable (at the very
least) in all currently-available browsers.