Response to RAND - negative

From: Neil Timms <neilt@netvigator.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 23:47:39 +0000
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Re patents

I would rather not have any patents RAND license schemes associated with W3C standards or recommendations. I feel that software patents in the present form only slow the pace of innovation in the field of computing. Their extension the W3C standards and recommendations would also create a situation where (and this may exist) companies use the W3C as a 'Trojan horse' to get *their* idea of standards accepted before producing a patent backed license scheme. I think that this would be a matter of integrity for the W3C to avoid adopting standards, recommendations, schemes, or software where this may occur.

Yours

Neil Timms

--
Please reply to neiltimms@bigfoot.com.