utterly wrong

From: Samantha Atkins <samantha@objectent.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 16:22:52 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Allowing patented portions of W3C standards will irrevocably
harm the WEB, W3C and all Open Source contributors and
developers and the public.  Which, in my mind, is the true
purpose and intent.  If W3C does this then it will be a
declaration of complicity with all organizations and companies
who would like to squeeze the people for every cent possible and
who most certainly want to strangle the competitiveness of Open
Source alternatives.

I can not speak for any group.  But if the W3C does this I think
it
should expect most of the Open Source community to shun its work
and projects in the future.  There will be little choice left to
us.

- Samantha Atkins