Comment on patent policy

From: Aaron Claessens <mrptt@auditt.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 14:19:23 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
As a professional software developer making a living from being able to develop platform-agnostic applications for the
web, I am extremely alarmed to see the W3C's proposed stance on patents. With the proposed changes in place the
web will become more and more a showcase for large corporations and will extinguish the independence and
innovation that have made the internet freely accessibly to anyone with a web browser of any flavour and a dial-up
account.

Indeed, with the proposals in place the web risks becoming a tool of a few corporations and innovation will largely be
shut down. After a while, the W3C itself will cease to be relevant. It seems hard to believe that this is intention.

I urge you, therefore, to reject these proposals and show your organisation to
be one of integrity; be proud that you are not just another tool of big business.

Regards,

Aaron Claessens