Objection to RAND licencing scheme

From: David Pye <davidmpye@talk21.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:55:14 +0100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my extreme concern at the possible adoption of
the proposed RAND scheme.

As a university student, and potential future web/software developer, I
am greatly distressed at the possibility of W3 standards containing
patents which are not licenced 'for-free'. I am aware that many
companies will not supply their intellectual property without financial
recompense, but nonetheless, I feel that the benefit of having freely
(financially) implementable standards outweighs the advantages of
allowing non-free licences.

In this context, I would like to strongly register both my objection to
the proposed RAND scheme, and that of my colleagues.

I trust you will take the feelings of many to heart.

Yours sincerely,

David Pye