Comments on RAND licensing.

From: Dr. Robert G. Rittenhouse <rob@cs1.mcm.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 10:50:27 -0500 (CDT)
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
While it may be necessary to use RAND licensing for some technologies I do
not like it. The Internet and the web are both built on free open
technologies. Standardizing new technologies which require licensing, even
under the RAND model, is a step backward.

If the W3C feels it necessary to proceed with RAND models to allow
standardizing a technology it should be made clear that this is an
inferior model. In addition, I believe every technology recommendation
should begin with an RF committe and only if that proves impossible should
a RAND committee be formed.

Generally, I would expect W3C members to understand and support the need
for open web standards.

--
Robert G. Rittenhouse      * Computer Science Dept,
McMurry University         * rob@cs1.mcm.edu