against w3 patents

From: Mike Coleman <mkc@mathdogs.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 18:01:04 -0500 (CDT)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Dear W3,

I hope that you will reconsider and decide against supporting
patent-encumbered standards.  Others have already made detailed arguments
pointing out the problems with this.  To their comments I will just add a
restatement of the obvious, which is that allowing patent-encumbered standards
means turning your back on the Free Software and Open Source Software
communities.  By allying yourself with and promoting the goals of
patent-holders, you guarantee a split in the future web and that your future
standards will be of use only to corporate manufacturers of software.

Regards,
Mike Coleman