Vague definitions involve a vague future.

From: Edward Champion <edchamp@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:29:26 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
While I can appreciate your intentions with the August 16, 2001 Working
Draft, it fails to take into account something that the very standards the
W3C governs chiefly and ostensibly involves: namely, a clarity understood
by all within your definitions. To call for a loose definition on patented
standards invites a nightmare for web developers and designers and a
lucrative hotbed for attorneys eager to take advantage of these loose
definitions. Adopting such a non-specific proposal goes against your
mandate and your purpose as a consortium. I urge you to reconsider.

Thank you for your time,

Edward Champion