The Web is not just for business

From: Chris Rimmer <chris@nominet.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:51:08 +0100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
The idea of having patents blessed by the W3C as standards is a
terrible one.  It seems to me to be just another place where the desires
of big business are being put first.  The web is NOT just a place for
corporations to make money, although many bodies such as ICANN
seem to think so.  The web and internet in general have flourished
because anyone can make a website and anyone can write software
that utilises the protocols and formats that underpin it.  Lets keep it
that way.

Oh, and the name of the proposal, "Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory
licensing" gives me the creeps. About as convincing as "The Democratic
Republic of Germany"...

Chris Rimmer
(These are personal opinions)
--