RAND patent licensing

From: Fred Condo <fcondo@csuchico.edu>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 07:58:48 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I strenuously object to the proposal to permit royalty fees to be charged
for Web-standard technologies. I urge W3C to continue to require
royalty-free licensing as a prerequisite for all Web standards.

I submit that "reasonable and non-discriminatory" is an oxymoron, because
it does not take into account that what is reasonable varies according to
the resources of the payer of the fee. RAND licensing will move the Web
from its free and open tradition, the very basis of its success, to one
that favors large patent holders and large developers able to pay high
("reasonable") fees. This will lock out a large, important segment of the
developer community, including small, innovative companies and academia.

It is evident that W3C wishes to avoid taking a stance on the issue of
software patents, but it is also clear that they stifle creativity and
retard development for the narrow profit of patent holders at the expense
of the larger community.

Please reject RAND licensing for the Web.

--
Fred Condo, Ph.D. + fcondo@csuchico.edu + http://webclass.csuchico.edu/
CSU, Chico Dept. of  Communication Design + http://www.csuchico.edu/cdes/