Breaking off

From: Afonso Fernandez Nogueira <afonso@writeme.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 13:46:47 +0200
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
Open software built the web as we know it. It fuels most servers and it represents for me the giving, collaborative spirit I love of the Internet.

The W3C, despite mostly formed by big corporations, shares space in my mind with that spirit. And it's now about to break its relationship with one of the groups that more loyally defend and promote the web as a democratic medium, the open software community.

And thinking of how stunned the other good crazy people of webstandards.org must be just makes me sicker. Damn.

The RAND licensing may have been beneficial for other industries. Go on and keep thinking the web as an industry. For me, it will always be a society.

fonso