OT: IETF [was: [www-patentpolicy-comment] <none>]

 --- Daniel Phillips <phillips@bonn-fries.net> wrote:
> On October 5, 2001 12:11 pm, WINTER,CHRIS (HP-Sweden,ex1) wrote:
> >
> > I am quite sorry to say that a colleague pointed out that,contrary to
> > popular belief, the IETF actually has adopted a RAND model.
> >
> > More information can be read at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt.
> > Especially chapters 6.2 and 10.3 make for quite interesting reading.

The IETF homepage provides a direct link to intellectual property right
notices at http://www.ietf.org/ipr.htm

At the bottom, you find:

                             Note Well

All statements related to the activities of the IETF and addressed to the
IETF are subject to all provisions of Section 10 of RFC 2026, which grants
to the IETF and its participants certain licenses and rights in such
statements.

Such statements include verbal statements in IETF meetings, as well as
written and electronic communications made at any time or place, which are
addressed to

    - the IETF plenary session,
    - any IETF working group or portion thereof,
    - the IESG, or any member thereof on behalf of the IESG,
    - the IAB or any member thereof on behalf of the IAB,
    - any IETF mailing list, including the IETF list itself,
      any working group or design team list, or any other list
      functioning under IETF auspices,
    - the RFC Editor or the Internet-Drafts function

Statements made outside of an IETF meeting, mailing list or other function,
that are clearly not intended to be input to an IETF activity, group or
function, are not subject to these provisions.

The following text on Intellectual Property Rights is extracted from
The Internet Standards Process

      (C)  Where the IESG knows of rights, or claimed rights under (A), the

      IETF Executive Director shall attempt to obtain from the claimant
      of such rights, a written assurance that upon approval by the IESG
      of the relevant Internet standards track specification(s), any
      party will be able to obtain the right to implement, use and
      distribute the technology or works when implementing, using or
      distributing technology based upon the specific specification(s)
      under openly specified, reasonable, non-discriminatory terms.
      The Working Group proposing the use of the technology with respect
      to which the proprietary rights are claimed may assist the IETF
      Executive Director in this effort.  The results of this procedure
      shall not affect advancement of a specification along the
      standards track, except that the IESG may defer approval where a
      delay may facilitate the obtaining of such assurances.  The
      results will, however, be recorded by the IETF Executive Director,
      and made available.  The IESG may also direct that a summary of
      the results be included in any RFC published containing the
      specification.

http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel
- Got Itchy feet? Get inspired!