Patents or Standards - Choose One.

From: J. Mark Turner <markt@garuda.dyndns.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:29:15 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
Dear W3C,

I have always thought "patented standard" to be a contradiction in terms.
While I support a corporation's right to profit from its innovation, having
the World Wide Web Consortium add its endorsement to such a patent seems
wrong.

The web owes its very existence to free and open standards. I trust you will
choose to affirm this remarkable legacy.

Traffic on the "Information Superhighway" has always moved freely. Now is
not the time for toll booths.

Regards,

Mark Turner
1409 Buckingham Road