Patent Policy Framework draft

From: Matt Michaelsen <MMichaelsen@LeaseTeam.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 07:30:51 -0500
To: "'www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org'" <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
Dear W3C Patent Policy Working Group:

I wish to express my concern about the recent Patent Policy Framework draft,
which could allow W3C members to charge royalty fees for technologies
included in web standards.

In particular, I object to the inclusion of a "reasonable and
non-discriminatory" (RAND) licensing option in the proposed policy. I
believe that the exclusive use of a "royalty-free" (RF) licensing model is
in the best interests of the Internet community, and that RAND licensing
would always necessarily exclude some would-be implementers, especially
among open source and free software developers. The Internet community will
be more prosperous without RAND.

I applaud the W3C for its tradition of providing open-source reference
implementations and its work to promote a wide variety of interoperable
implementations of its open standards. The W3C can best continue its work of
"leading the Web to its full potential" by continuing this tradition, and
saying no to RAND licensing.

Sincerely,

Matt Michaelsen
11510 Blondo St.