Re: We must fork the SVG standard (was: SVGA 1.0 uses RAND -> DO NOT ! implement it, DO NOT ! use it)

On October 4, 2001 02:00 pm, Chris Lilley wrote:
> > The public review period, if there ever was one, went by quietly:
>
> Please get your facts in order. The public review period of the SVG 1.0
> specification (from first public working draft on 11 February 1999 to
> end of the Proposed Recommendation period on 16 August, 2001) was *over
> 29 months*

Let me get this straight.  You claim the public review period for SVG did not
go by quietly?  From the list archive:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/

we see:

  Total comments for August 2001: 60

Consider that the real introduction of the RAND policy was as part of
the SVG specification, and suppose the public really had been aware that W3C
intended to bless SVG as a patent-encumbered standard.  Would we not have
expected to see the September 30's 726 comments submitted instead some time
before August 16?

We saw no such thing.  Instead, we saw the close of the comment period go by
quietly, just as I said.  I submit that, far from my facts being out of
order, you have attempted to spin the facts in a way that suits you.

--
Daniel