patents unacceptable in open standards

From: George M. Sipe <geo@sipe.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:40:10 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I would like to add my voice to the many other well reasoned comments
AGAINST PATENTS IN WEB STANDARDS.

Software patents in web standards are simply unnecessary.  The RAND
provisions do not in any way overcome the many problems that would be
caused by patented technology.

I am also very disappointed in W3C for considering such a proposal,
for not widely publicizing the consideration of such a proposal, and
for already accepting proposals encumbered by patents.  Shame on you.

George M. Sipe