Re: Is Apple's patent valid?

From: Jason Antony <s1118355@student.gu.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:14:21 +1000
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Adam Warner wrote:

> > Jason Antony wrote:
> >
> > One of the obstacles preventing a royalty-free SVG [Scalable Vector
> > Graphics] recommendation is a patent that Apple holds.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/07/SVG10-IPR-statements.html
>
> "Apple informed the SVG 1.0 Working Group very early in the SVG 1.0
> process of the patent they listed in their license statement. The SVG
> Working Group made a concerted effort to produce a specification that
> does not require implementors to infringe the patent."

I intended to point out that this patent had caused an issue in the
development of the SVG specification. This is what 30+ hours sans sleep
does to my memory.

Regardless, it's an inexcusable error on my behalf. I apologise for any
confusion owing to my mistake, and applaud Apple for its honesty.

Thanks for pointing it out, Adam.

Cheers
Jason