Patent Policy Framework draft

From: <cmorgan@aracnet.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:21:47 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I am writing today to comment on the W3C Patent Policy Framework draft.
I'm stunned that the W3C would even consider including patented algorithms
in any of its standards.  As I'm sure the W3C is aware, open source
developers will neither use nor develop software that includes patented
intellectual property (recall the GIF debacle).

I can only surmise that W3C has forgotten that they exist because the World
Wide Web was built on open, unencumbered standards.  Unencumbered standards
allow all parties to participate without paying a toll tax.  If the W3C
takes embraces standards that include patented algorithms, then the open
source movement will no doubt fork the Web.  On one side of the fork,
vigorous, open development of the Web will continue.  On the other side of
the fork, the W3C will be the master of closed, propietary standards that
can only be accessed using closed, proprietary tools.

In my opinion your choice is fairly clear cut:

+ steer clear of encumbered intellectual property and retain your role as
  the final arbiter of WWW standards, or

+ embrace encumbered intellectual property and sink into irrelevance.

Regards,

Clark O. Morgan