keep royalties out of the web

From: Dan Stromberg <strombrg@nis.acs.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 17:55:43 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
The fastest, most positive advances in computer software, as hindered
by the selfish warring between the many proprietary computer software
vendors, have all been centered around a piece of Free software or a
royalty-free open standard, or better still: both.  These key bits of
lagniappe have created the fertile ground on which your avaricious
patent efforts stand.

RAND-like licensing has no place in any standards organization
governing computer software, where a traditional-duration patent is
like an aeon to more mature, slower moving industries.

If some portion of web standards becomes royalty-tainted, I will
fervently support a free software schism.  But I would of course
prefer it if the patent lovers who seek to create a strangle-hold on
"open" standards would not force my hand.

Thank you for reading.

--
Dan Stromberg                                               UCI/NACS/DCS