Paying to develop the Web?

From: Jeremy McPeak <jeremy@wdonline.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:59:26 -0500
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
This saddens me.  As a free lance web developer, it infuriates me.  It is my humble opinion that Tim Berners-Lee had a vision of a free Internet.  Could it be that the Internet has grown by leaps and bounds because using HTML, CSS, XML, DOM, etc have been free?  People like John Q. Everybody and Suzie P. Everyone that have built web pages is what made the Internet, not the organization that defines the standards.  True, without the tools nothing could be built, but without the worker, nothing can be built either.