Learn from recent history.

From: Martin C S Gauffin <moment@svansmoj.ctrl-c.liu.se>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:39:00 +0100 (WET DST)
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
Do you remember what happened to GIF as a format? Everyone used it, but as
the patent was called and it started to cost, it virtually vanished within
a month. I can see a future where IIS is the dominating, not to say only,
patented standard and as such endorsed to the level of annihilating
relevant competition. Correct me if I am wrong, but I saw nothing
requiring the availability of a patented such 'standard; to anyone
wishing to use it. A selfdestructive move would be to force the
implementation of one quasi-standard that requires enough money for use,
and thus another defacto standard which with time becomes the actual one,
implying the redundancy of the orgtanization behind the first.

"Aah, 0.47...definitely my favourite sin(x)." - A. Pun