Learn from recent history.

From: Martin C S Gauffin <moment@svansmoj.ctrl-c.liu.se>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 16:39:00 +0100 (WET DST)
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
Do you remember what happened to GIF as a format? Everyone used it, but as
the patent was called and it started to cost, it virtually vanished within
a month. I can see a future where IIS is the dominating, not to say only,
patented standard and as such endorsed to the level of annihilating
relevant competition. Correct me if I am wrong, but I saw nothing
requiring the availability of a patented such 'standard; to anyone
wishing to use it. A selfdestructive move would be to force the
implementation of one quasi-standard that requires enough money for use,
and thus another defacto standard which with time becomes the actual one,
implying the redundancy of the orgtanization behind the first.

/Martin
"Aah, 0.47...definitely my favourite sin(x)." - A. Pun
UNSOLICITED COMMERICAL EMAIL SUCJECT TO $500 ARCHIVAL FEE