W3C Patent Policy

From: Mark C. Pawson <Mark.C.Pawson@student.shu.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 14:58:18 +0100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to protest at the proposed standard that I have just read
regarding the Patent Policy for the W3C.  This would/could easily spell the end
to the idea of freedom and innovation.

For example perhaps something like online commerce was patented, commerce is
not patented in the real world, I don't have to pay a royalty to use cash in a
shop!  This could lead to such patents appearing that reduce freedom and the
innovation of the use of web technology by the masses.

I do hope that this entire proposal is rejected not just on the grounds cited
above but also because of many other comments I have read clearly showing how
freedom and innovation would disintegrate.

Yours Sincerely