Patent Fiasco: what the W3C must do

From: Rahul Dave <rahul@reno.cis.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 13:45:26 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Two steps ought to be taken to (a) put the W3C process on this matter
back on track, and (b) restore the already sullied W3C reputation

(1) Increase the comment period on this by another 2 months
(2) Add open source, small independent developer, and consumer advocates
on the policy committee for this if there is infact one.

I for one have lost my faith in the W3C as a neutral standards body. But
I think we ought to give them a chance to redeem themselves. After all,
any organization which has Sun and MS working TOGETHER to perpetuate
wierd shit on consumers cant be all that bad :-)

I wonder what TBL thinks of all this under his own nose. My reading of
his writings was that he was opposed to all software patents.
--
Rahul Dave