Re: FW: Action Item from Advisory Committee Discussion on Patent Policy

On November 21, 2001 10:18 pm, Daniel Weitzner wrote:
> Following the recent W3C Advisory Committee meeting, the Patent Policy
> Working Group was given the following action item.
>
> An action item to the PPWG:
>
> We have heard a continuum of views about what the goal of our patent policy
> should be: from an exclusively RF policy to one that prefers RF but allows
> RAND. There is significant support for requiring that all W3C
> Recommendations have RF licensing. There is also concern from a number of
> Members that not all W3C Recommendations can be completed without RAND
> licensing provisions.

Yes, but isn't that exactly what we, the public, have loudly and
unambiguously asked for?  That the W3C not complete *any* standards that
would entail RAND licensing?

> Based on this input the PPWG should develop as a first priority a process
> for producing RF Recommendations -- an RF Patent Policy.

This is excellent news.

> In recognition of
> the fact that a number of Members do appear reluctant to abandon a RAND
> track altogether, the PPWG will offer the AC further discussion of a RAND
> track with responses to the  issues raised here and in the Last Call
> commments supporting a RAND option.

The sooner the RAND track is abandoned, the sooner W3C gets its good name
back.

> Note -- this does NOT mean that W3C has made final decision in favor of a
> RF-only policy, nor does it mean that we have made a final determination
> about the role RAND licensing will play. The final decision about W3C's
> patent policy will be made after the PPWG has developed a new proposal, the
> public has had another chance to comment, and the W3C membership has had
> it's chance to express its views formally to the Director.

Thanks for the update.

--
Daniel