Open Source is our friend.

From: Derek Meek <whitewolf@cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 14:50:58 -0600
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
    Imagine a world of closed source, a world were one mega corporation
controls the computer industry.  Not such a far fetched idea.
    Imagine that company became so powerful that it could do what ever
it wanted - kill people like Linus Torvalds and Eric S. Raymond.

    This almost sounds extreme, almost.  Lest we not forget that
microsoft's founder Bill Gates has a napoleon complex.  The proposal in
question here would strengthen his position.  Anytime your strengthen
him, you weaken yourself and the rest of the free market.  Don't close
out open source, close our closed source.  When the customer wins, they
know it, and they keep coming back.

    Make money off the support and documentation, not the software.

--
Derek "Kazan" Meek

"God is dead." - Nietzsche

Staff Programmer for FreeSpace 2: The Babylon Project
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/babylon/
Founder Alliance Productions
Programmer: AP FreeSpace 2 Kit, AP Red Faction Kit
http://alliance.sourceforge.net
UT: ZEB Clan Web Coordinator