Re: Why I have not spoken personally about the patent policy issue

From: Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp@home.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 15:22:04 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Thanks, TimBL, for your explanation, and for your comments to the
Working group, which are linked from the message

The main problem I see is that once RAND mode becomes acceptable,
pretty soon it'll be the norm.

If anyone would like to see what a minefield this could become, have
a look at the "voice browsers" IP disclosures at
It has at least ten disclosures with offers of RAND licensing, and
only five disclosures with offers of RF licensing.  How on earth is
an open-source developer supposed to deal with that?