Re: Why I have not spoken personally about the patent policy issue

From: Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp@home.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 15:22:04 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Thanks, TimBL, for your explanation, and for your comments to the
Working group, which are linked from the message
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-patentpolicy-comment/2001Oct/1675.html

The main problem I see is that once RAND mode becomes acceptable,
pretty soon it'll be the norm.

If anyone would like to see what a minefield this could become, have
a look at the "voice browsers" IP disclosures at
http://www.w3.org/2001/09/voice-disclosures.html
It has at least ten disclosures with offers of RAND licensing, and
only five disclosures with offers of RF licensing.  How on earth is
an open-source developer supposed to deal with that?

Glenn