Re: Citing your work on P3P

Dear Ruchika,

When it comes to junkbuster's and EPIC's comments, please also
note, that those are based on older versions of P3P. Both never
updated their critics until now. It might be interesting to have
them re-read the specification.

The game around P3P is not only a bilateral one. There
are multiple players in the room. Most of Marc Rotenbergs critics
were directed against Lawrence Lessig's approach in Lessig's book
"code is law". In this book Lessig takes P3P as an example, that
by changing the internet-architecture, we could change the
underlying dynamics and thus write the code instead of a law. Or
a different law accompaigning the code... There is also the
political game about privacy regulation involved. The P3P Working
Group was mostly external to those battles. It was producing the
piece the others where arguing about. So if you do a pro-contra
approach, it is getting hard to sort out the object of the
dispute and the facts behind. The P3P Workging Groups tried
always to make clear, which goal they wanted to achieve. This was
not always heard in the discussions: See the P3P FAQ[1].

The best, that can happen happened: Lorrie, the Working Group
Chair has taken time to respond to you. So take as much benefit
out of it, as you can.

If you have questions about the european context, please don't
hesitate to ask me. (yet another different game around P3P)

  1. http://www.w3.org/P3P/p3pfaq.html

Best,
--
Rigo Wenning            W3C/INRIA
Policy Analyst          Privacy Activity Lead