[meera.r.puri@us.pwcglobal.com: [Moderator Action] Privacy Preference Default Settings]

----- Forwarded message from meera.r.puri@us.pwcglobal.com -----

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:02:11 -0500 (EST)
From: meera.r.puri@us.pwcglobal.com
To: www-p3p-public-comments@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] Privacy Preference Default Settings

I came across this when I was conducting my research. I couldn't determine if
this statement was, in fact, true:
http://www.cpsr.org/program/privacy/p3p-faq.html#pref (dated 11-21-99)

How will P3P work?
The first implementations of P3P have not yet been released publicly, so we
don't have details about how it will
look to Net users. We do know that P3P will probably be incorporated into
Internet browsers like Netscape and Internet
Explorer, and perhaps will be used in other Internet software. The P3P protocol
does state that the software must install with
the maximum "privacy" as the default. Users will provide their personal
information (name, address, etc.), probably in a form,
and will indicate their "privacy preferences." When the user surfs to a Web site
 that uses P3P, the data request of the Web site
will be compared to the user's preferences. If they match, the requested data
will either be transmitted to the Web site or the user
will be asked to fill a form with the information.

I went to the http://www.w3.org/P3P/p3pfaq.html#default and found the following
response (dated 11-10-2000):

18. What will the default settings for P3P user agents look like?
The P3P specification does not specify default settings for P3P user agents.
However it does say that user agents should
present configuration options to users in a way that is neutral or biased
towards privacy and not be configured by default
to transfer personal information without the user's consent. We expect that the
APPEL language, will allow privacy advocates
and others to create "canned" configuration files that users can plug into their
 user agents if they do not want to use the settings
 specified by software manufacturers.

Could you please provide me with some clarification regarding the required
default settings as defined within the P3P specifications.  Thank you!

Regards,

Meera Puri
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please

----- End forwarded message -----