Re: Use of "An HTTP Extension Framework"

From: Lorrie Cranor <lorrie@research.att.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:34:54 -0400
To: <www-p3p-public-comments@w3.org>, <mark.baker@Canada.Sun.COM>
Mark,

The P3P Specification Working Group has considered your
concerns about our use of the HTTP Extension Framework.
However, we do not believe that experimental RFCs were
designed not to be used. Indeed in order for RFCs to
advance through the IETF process they must be
implemented. Furthermore, while the P3P sepcification
uses the HTTP Extension Framework, it does so in a
way that does not require any general support for the
framework by either the client or server.

We feel that the ability to reference P3P policies in headers
is extremely important for servers that do not generate
content dynamically and for the ability to have P3P policies
apply to non-HTML content.

Regards,

Lorrie Cranor
P3P Specification Working Group Chair