Re: P3P and XML Schemas

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:10:28 -0400
To: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson)
Cc: duerst@w3.org, www-p3p-public-comments@w3.org, www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
I believe that in this respect we are at least as expressive as DTDs.  In
other words, schemas can model:

We additionally provide the equivalent of:

        ( (A?) & (B)  &(C?) &(D))

In other words, a B and a D, with optional A and C, all in any order.  So
we are already better than DTD.  We cannot do:

        ((A*) & (B) & (C?)) & (D))

which I believe is being requested.  I think it's reasonable that we
consider this, but I think we should reserve the right to decline.  There
are lots of 80/20 points in all this, and we are already better than DTD,
I think.  What about:

(Any number of elements from namespace XXX, all in any order, and at most
once.)  Very useful, especially as a base class, but also not supported.
We have to draw the line somewhere.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson)