Re: Fwd: CDT Urges FTC to Support Privacy Enhancing Technologies

Hi Ari,

thanks for posting and giving us the full picture in addition to
Lorrie's message.

On Thursday 24 January 2008, Ari Schwartz wrote:
[...]
> > CDT Letter to FTC in Ask.com matter [PDF], January 23, 2008:
> > http://www.cdt.org/privacy/20080123_FTC_Ask.pdf

Don't you think we should have specified an opt-out mechanism into P3P
that would not rely on cookies? I see that despite the message to the
FTC not to follow EPIC (election times are harsh ;)
CDT also says:

> First, with respect to the use of opt-out cookies, CDT strongly
> agrees that cookies are not the preferred method of managing user
> privacy choices.

Isn't the trouble that the opt-out cookie forces you to open up for
cookies from ask.com as you won't bother to filter all the other
cookies from ask.com by hand? To be clear, my point is not whether
the FTC should do something or not. But I wonder if we can't get into
a dialog with ask.com to do things in a better way.

Best,

Rigo Wenning