Re: Syntax Error in Policy

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:39:21 +0100
To: "Gammel, Denise" <Denise.Gammel@rrb.gov>
Cc: www-p3p-policy@w3.org, "Blommaert, Leroy" <Leroy.Blommaert@rrb.gov>, "Burke, William" <William.Burke@rrb.gov>

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:50:11AM -0600, Gammel, Denise wrote:
> We are using the IBM P3P Generator to create a policy statement and a
> reference file.  When we try to view the policy in the IE 6 browser we
> get this error message:  "Unable to display the privacy policy of
> htttp:.//stagerrb/Default.htm due to a syntax error in its policy."

This looks like a typo. Please look for typos and use the
P3P validator to validate your file.

> Can you identify the problem from this error message?  There are no
> errors showing up in the Error tab in the IBM Generator.

It might be a problem with your web-server or that the files
are read-protected.
Please see the deployment guide for more information:
http://www.w3.org/TR/p3pdeployment

> Attached is screen print of the 2 files we created, and the error
> message.  We saved the policy as an xml rather than p3p file because
> the instructions said you could do that for web servers that are not
> configured to recognize P3P files.  We aren't sure if we are
> configured for P3P or not.

This isn't really helpful for debugging. I haven't any of those programs
installed, so I can't help you. But others in the list might help.

Best,
--
Rigo Wenning            W3C/ERCIM
Policy Analyst          Privacy Activity Lead