Re: P3P Specification Ambiguity: Cookies

From: Lorrie Cranor <lorrie@research.att.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:06:21 -0500
To: "David Wall" <dwall@Yozons.com>, <www-p3p-policy@w3.org>
Let me correct some of this inaccurate information...

> So, we have a vague "standard" that requires special tools for
> administrators to even hope to build the P3P policy and compact headers
> correctly,

It doesn't *require* any special tools. And there are a number
of tools that make this easier available for free. See
http://www.w3.org/P3P/implementations

not true, see also http://privacybird.com

> Oh, for the days when standards were created after some experience in
> practice (yes, the good old RFC days of the Internet) showing a valuable
> protocol, workable solutions, with a reasonable level of adoption using a
> proven technology....

Actually, P3P has not yet been formally "recommended" by
W3C yet. We've had a stable spec for quite some time now and
have put out public calls for implementations and feedback. At this point
there has been a significant amount of implementation experience.

Lorrie Cranor