(unknown charset) Re: Using <meta http-equiv> [was: [www-p3p-policy] <none>]

From: (unknown charset) Ken Martin <ken@kpmartin.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:33:24 -0500
To: (unknown charset) <www-p3p-policy@w3.org>
CC: (unknown charset) Lorrie Cranor <lorrie@research.att.com>, Andreas Färber <andreas@faerber.as>
on 10/10/01 9:42 AM, Lorrie Cranor at lorrie@research.att.com wrote:

> Certainly if you are using a server that recognizes this and creates
> a normal HTTP header, then that is fine. But you should make sure
> your server does that before you use this approach. I don't
> think all servers will do this.

It's very easy to test by just adding the <meta> and then hitting the
changed page with the W3C P3P Validator, which let's you look at the whole
header. :)

In my recent struggles, I've found the <meta> method very handy as a
starting point, and have found it to work on Apache, Netscape, and WebStar
servers.

Unfortunately, lots of web programmers I have contact with have no clue
about HTTP headers or their server, and very many have no access to their
server at that level.

Ken Martin