Common Policy reference

Dear Tyson,

for reasons of SPAM protection, the mailing-list is only
accepting postings from those people subscribed to that
mailing-list.

If you want to subscribe, please send an email to
www-p3p-policy-request@w3.org with "subscribe" in the
subject-line.

On your question:

In full P3P Policies, your scenario is perfectly implementable.
Every server has to carry a Policy Reference File (PRF). In this
PRF you can reference the one and only Policy applicable to all
of your hosts. It doesn't matter, on which the Policy is sitting,
as you can use full URI to reference the applicable policy.

So an example policy would look like this:

<META xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/09/P3Pv1">
 <POLICY-REFERENCES>
  <EXPIRY max-age="172800"/>
  <POLICY-REF about="http://policy.example.org/P3P/Policies.xml#first">
      <INCLUDE>/*</INCLUDE>
      <EXCLUDE>/catalog/*</EXCLUDE>
      <EXCLUDE>/cgi-bin/*</EXCLUDE>
      <EXCLUDE>/servlet/*</EXCLUDE>
  </POLICY-REF>
  <POLICY-REF about="http://policy.example.org/P3P/Policies.xml#second">
      <INCLUDE>/catalog/*</INCLUDE>
  </POLICY-REF>
  <POLICY-REF about="http://policy.example.org/P3P/Policies.xml#third">
      <INCLUDE>/cgi-bin/*</INCLUDE>
      <INCLUDE>/servlet/*</INCLUDE>
      <EXCLUDE>/servlet/unknown</EXCLUDE>
  </POLICY-REF>
 </POLICY-REFERENCES>
</META>

This kind of PRF MUST reside on every P3P enabled server. We
suggest, that you use the well-known-location /w3c/p3p.xml for
the PRF.

For compact policies, this doesn't work. Compact policies are
transported in the P3P-header. So every server has to carry his
own policy in the P3P-header. So you have to re-configure every
web-server.

If there are remaining questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

Rigo Wenning            W3C/INRIA
Policy Analyst          Privacy Activity Lead
mail:rigo@w3.org        2004, Routes des Lucioles
+33 (0)6 73 84 87 31    F-06902 Sophia Antipolis
http://www.w3.org/

----- Forwarded message from "Tyson, Wayne" <wayne.tyson@eds.com> -----