Re: Privacy on the web question

Dear Ms. Sexton,

the answer to your question mainly depends on where you are
located and also where the genealogy websites are located. I
assume, that you're in the US. As far as I know, you don't have
protection against secondary use for the private sector in the US.
But this has to be confirmed by someone who has better knowledge
about the US situation. Perhaps you might consult your
favorite attorney. Anyway, I cc'ed this mail to Ari Schwartz from
CDT, who can give you perhaps further indications.

P3P only informs or warns you, when you give information away.
Once, the information is out there, P3P can't protect you against
secondary use of that information.

Best,

Rigo Wenning            W3C/INRIA
Policy Analyst          2004, Routes des Lucioles
mail:rigo@w3.org        F-06902 Sophia Antipolis
+33 (0)6 73 84 87 31    http://www.w3.org/