Re: Replacing EMBEDDED-INCLUDE with POLICY-REFERENCE-HINTS

From: Lorrie Cranor <lorrie@research.att.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:38:38 -0400
To: "Martin Kiff" <mgk@webfeet.co.uk>, <www-p3p-policy@w3.org>
Martin Kiff wrote:
> Lorrie Cranor wrote:
>
> > ....  The path
> > attribute specifies the location of the hinted policy reference files
> > relative to the
> > applicable host rather than the policy reference file containing the
hint.

> Does that imply that if there's content across several servers the user
> agent will need to retrieve policies separately from each? (I can see
> that this is the direction that things are going but I wonder about the
> overhead...)

A user agent has to retrieve a policy reference file for each server.
The policy reference files may all reference the same policy, in which
case it only needs to be retrieved once.

> It would be nice to have the _ability_ to have all p3p information for a
> site (which may be distributed over several servers in terms of embedded
> content, references or redirection) managed in one XML file hosted in
> one place.
>
> What are the options for doing this?

The policy can be hosted in one place. But each server must have its own
policy reference file if the well-known location mechanism is used.
If the header or link tag mechanism is used, it is possible to have a
single policy reference file as long as the servers all have the same
directory structure or if one policy is used everywhere. Change S13
at http://www.w3.org/p3p/updates.html enables this.

Regards,

Lorrie Cranor