Re: locating policy reference files

From: Lorrie Cranor <lorrie@research.att.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:38:09 -0400
To: "Sebastian Kamp" <kamp@ti.informatik.uni-kiel.de>, <www-p3p-dev@w3.org>
Cc: <www-p3p-policy@w3.org>
Even in the scenario you describe, the host company can include
a policy reference file that provides the policies for all the content
it hosts. The policy reference file may point to the policies for
each company that it hosts. The problem is that if a company
hosts content for a large number of clients -- say 1000 clients --
the policy reference file would have at least 1000 entries. This
is a non-trivial amount of extra data to be shipping around. Also,
we have been told by some of the content distribution networks
that their file system is not actually hierarchical, so it is not as
simple as identifying each client with a directory.

Lorrie Cranor
P3P Specification Working Group Chair