question about the <NON-IDENTIFIABLE/> attribute

From: Fiona Walsh <Fiona.Walsh@avenuea.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:16:10 -0800
To: www-p3p-policy@w3.org

I've been assisting our client's with policy generation, and have some
questions about the <NON-IDENTIFIABLE/> attribute.
The spec. states
"
<NON-IDENTIFIABLE/>
	This is an element that can only be present in the statement, if
there is no data or no identifiable data collected. Data is seen as
non-identifiable in the sense of the present specification, if there is no
reasonable way for the entity or a third party to attach the collected data
to the identity of natural person.
"

Nearly all of our clients' sites have some persistent means of storing state
@ an individual level (cookiesID, customerID, transactionID etc).
It seems reasonable to say that all these data elements could be attached by
our client's or by a third party to the identity of a natural person.

First, in the above statement when we state "attach", do we mean linking
using data collected by any method, HTTP or other?
Second, is it therefore reasonable to say that most sites that store state @
an individual level can not use the <NON-IDENTIFIABLE/> attribute?

fi