Re: Privacy and an OpenSource ecommerce application

From: Lorrie Cranor <lorrie+@cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:57:59 -0500
Cc: www-p3p-dev@w3.org
To: devosc <devosc@gmail.com>

On Nov 26, 2004, at 5:55 AM, devosc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a free opensource GNU GPL ecommerce application, and as
> part of it I would like to include a support ID so that when the user
> contacts the company that the application is designed to integrate
> (utilize) this company would then know who's software solution has
> been used and advise the user appropiately for support purposes.
>
> Does the inclusion of the support/software ID require disclosure and
> does it require knowledge and consent of the user to send and use?
>
> E.g. would it be a breach of the user's 'Privacy' if this support id
> is unkowingly sent to the company?
>
> The company referred to above is a website payment gateway.
>
> Privacy is the keyword for me here, and I would like to know about the
> above in this context.

My opinion is that if any information is transmitted automatically you
should
inform the user about it. I don't think most users will mind this, but
I think
you should inform them about it.

Regards,

Lorrie Cranor

--
Lorrie Faith Cranor <http://lorrie.cranor.org/>
* Associate Research Professor, Computer Science and Engineering &