Re: Case sensitivity of urls

From: Martin Presler-Marshall <mpresler@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:09:35 -0500
To: www-p3p-dev@w3.org
     URLs are case-sensitive, so any operations on them should use
case-sensitive operations. It's true that some servers, including those
running on Windows platforms, will map case-sensitive URLs to a
case-insensitive filesystem, but the URLs themselves are fundamentally

     -- Martin

Martin Presler-Marshall - Program Manager, Privacy Technology
E-mail: mpresler@us.ibm.com     AIM: jhreingold
Phone: (919) 254-7819 (tie-line 444-7819) Fax: (919) 254-6430 (tie-line

                    "Giles Hogben"
                    <giles.hogben@jr       To:     "p3pdev" <www-p3p-dev@w3.org>
                    c.it>                  cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     Case sensitivity of urls
                    10/29/2001 06:24

We have come across a problem in our testing relating to the INCLUDE and
EXCLUDE urls in policy reference files:
The question is, should the urls contained in these be matched case
insensitive or case sensitive.
There seem to be problems associated with both alternatives:

1. If you require case sensitivity, then if the user accesses a Microsoft
based server with the wrong case, the policy will not be found.
For example if I try to access www.microsoftserver.com/testPage.html
which is actually at www.microsoftserver.com/testpage.html
And my policyreference file contains <INCLUDE>/testpage.html</INCLUDE>
2. If you do not require case sensitivity, then on a Unix based server,
there could conceivably be different policies applying to files which
differ only by case for example

What is the policy on this?

Giles Hogben