Announcing the Workshop on Mobile and Web Technologies in Social and Economic Development

From: Max Froumentin <maxf@webfoundation.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 10:51:46 +0100
To: www-multimodal@w3.org
Hi MMI fans,

On behalf of the Web Foundation and W3C I would like to let you know about the Mobile and Web Technologies in Social and Economic Development, to be held in Dar-Es-Salaam, on June 4-5.

I think there's a strong relationship between the main topic of the workshop and the multimodal Web:  multi-channel data collection. Most data gathering tools used by NGOs or governments for development projects are often based on Web technologies, but fail to exploit the multi-modal qualities of the Web. Tools rely on a single modality (eg, web pages, mobile applications, voice, texting) but rarely support multiple ones. The resulting lack of versatility often lead to non-representative data collection results.

The workshop page is at <http://public.webfoundation.org/2011/01/MW4D_WS/>

Don't hesitate to get in touch with me for more information or expressions of interest.

Max Froumentin
World Wide Web Foundation