Experimental system for managing multimodality

From: Jean-Daniel Fekete <Jean-Daniel.Fekete@inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:17:21 -0500 (EST)
To: www-multimodal@w3.org

I am a researcher in Human Computer Interaction, recently arrived at
INRIA, near Paris, from the University of Maryland.

I met recently with Vincent Quint who advised me to contact you, after I
showed him a demo of a work done by a PhD student I advice: Pierre
Dragicevic.

This work could be useful both for experimenting with multimodal
interaction using a web browser and, I hope, as a good model for
managing input.

The system is called ICon and is described at the following url:
http://www.emn.fr/dragicevic/ICon/
ICon is a visual language editor for configuring the multimodal input of
an interactive application, such as -- but not limited to -- a web
browser.  Currently, ICon has module that support speech input, multiple
pointers, some USB input devices and the X input extension.  Designing a
new module is quite simple.

There are a couple of papers there, the most complete being "Input
Device Selection and Interaction Configuration with ICON" we published
at the IHM-HCI 2001 conference on human computer interaction (joint
conference of the English BCS-HCI group and French AFIHM group).

If you think ICon can contribute to your working group, I would be happy
to give a short talk about it in a forthcoming meeting, if you think
this is appropriate.  I am quite interested in participating to the
multimodal interaction activity at WWW, as an member of INRIA.

Best regards,
--
  Jean-Daniel Fekete      Jean-Daniel.Fekete@inria.fr
  INRIA Futurs, LRI               tel: +33 1 69156625