RE: Issues and future work for CC/PP

From: Butler, Mark <Mark_Butler@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:43:59 +0100
To: "'Keskar, Dhananjay V'" <dhananjay.v.keskar@intel.com>, "'www-mobile@w3.org'" <www-mobile@w3.org>

Hi dvk

I have a few questions about your first issue - hope that's okay?

> Our list of proposed work items is around the following issues:
> 1.	Consideration of Dynamic Properties
>
> Consideration of Dynamic Properties :
> ============================
> Emerging high-end mobile devices distinguish themselves in
> their ability to
> adapt to changing computational requirements and
> environmental conditions.
> For example, power management policies adapt the speed of the
> processor
> based on remaining battery capacity, application workloads,
> and quality of
> service requirements. For network services to participate in
> the adaptation,
> the state of the client device must be communicated as
> conditions change.

In the current CC/PP protocol using HTTP-ex (or the WAP UAProf protocols)
profile-diffs should be able to convey dynamic changes above and beyond the
reference profile. Please can you give more details why profile-diffs are
not suitable in the situations you describe?

> Current implementations of CC/PP and the various transport
> mechanisms do not
> handle rapidly changing attributes efficiently. Thus mechanisms that
> efficiently represent and convey dynamic properties in CC/PP
> profiles need
> to be considered.

Can you give more details of these efficiency problems? Do you have any
proposals for solutions?

Alternatively do you think it would be possible to use a different protocol
in your use case as outlined in
http://alternic.net/drafts/drafts-n-o/draft-nishigaya-sip-ccpp-00.html ?

thanks in advance, best regards

Mark H. Butler, PhD
Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
mark-h_butler@hp.com
Internet: http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/