RE: CC/PP

Hi Tayeb,

Thanks for your comments on my report. Please could you explain them
further? The reason I came up with the capability class proposal is I need a
mechanism of being able to use CC/PP within Apache Cocoon, specifically

i) within stylesheets
ii) within the sitemap
iii) in image transcoders

If I understand your comments correctly you think there is a problem with my
approach. However I'm not sure what that problem is? Perhaps it would help
if you made your comments constructive i.e. can you propose how to fix my
approach or any alternative approaches?

So far I've had feedback from Takashi Nishigaya (Fujitsu) and Luu Tran
(Sun). To paraphrase the comments, Takashi Nishigaya preferred an RDF
approach to representing the device capabilities required by a document,
similar to my report on content negotiation. Luu Tran on the other hand
takes the view that CC/PP information will be used primarily by Java
programs, rather than in XML configuration files or stylesheets so a
mechanism like capability classes is less important than the Java API. I'm
interested in your position also, but it would be helpful if you could
clarify?

thanks, best regards

Mark H. Butler, PhD
Research Scientist                HP Labs Bristol
mark-h_butler@hp.com