RE: CC/PP profile repository overworked?

Erich's absolutely right - reading the UAProf specs, section 9.1.1.1 page 38

"The x-wap-profile header is a general header field which must contain the
following:
- a URI referencing the CPI or
- a reference to a profile difference, transported using the
x-wap-profile-diff or
- a combination of multiple instances of these two types of data."

This means headers of the following form are legal:

GET /ccpp/html/ HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost
x-wap-profile:"1-Rb0sq/nuUFQU75vAjKyiHw=="
x-wap-profile-diff:1;<?xml version="1.0"?>
 <rdf:RDF xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
  xmlns:prf="http://www.wapforum.org/profiles/UAPROF/ccppschema-20010430#">
  <rdf:Description rdf:ID="MyDeviceProfile">
     <prf:component>
       <rdf:Description rdf:ID="HardwarePlatform">
          <rdf:type
  rdf:resource="http://www.wapforum.org/profiles/UAPROF/ccppschema-
    20010426#HardwarePlatform"/>
  		<prf:BitsPerPixel>16</prf:BitsPerPixel>
</rdf:Description>
     </prf:component>
  </rdf:Description>
 </rdf:RDF>

I hadn't realised this - I expect DELI will not parse such requests as it
expects a profile reference. I'll note it as an issue to be fixed in the
next release.

However I think this is an inefficient way of working as it means the
gateway must forward the entire reference profile to the origin server with
every request. It's more efficient for the origin server to cache the
reference profile, but this can only be done with a profile reference.
Therefore I would discourage the OpenWave folks (or anyone else) from using
this approach. Anybody else thought about this?

For more information on DELI see http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/marbut/

Mark H. Butler
Research Scientist
HP Labs Bristol