Re: Server Side Magic.

At 07:21  18/06/01 +0300, Juha Vierinen wrote:
>We are planning to test CC/PP ... The server has to do some magic, to come
>up with a page which fits the client... Is there any standardized language
>for describing a such a site?

You might want to look at Cocoon, a "100% pure Java publishing framework
that relies on new W3C technologies (such as DOM, XML, and XSL) to provide
web content": http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/

However, I am a skeptical of the value of this technology for public web
pages. After discussions of accessibility and mobile Internet at INET2001
<http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/inet/index.html#Serving>, I am recommending
that web designers make their applications "wireless ready" by implementing
accessibility guidelines and checking their web pages are usable on a
quarter-VGA screen. Most web pages will then work okay on wireless PDA
devices and web appliances, as well as normal computer screens. This avoids
the need for server side software and bypasses WAP.

Tom Worthington FACS tom.worthington@tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd ABN: 17 088 714 309
http://www.tomw.net.au PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
Visiting Fellow, Computer Science, Australian National University
Publications Director & Past President, Australian Computer Society
Internet Mobility, 20 June, ANU: http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/inet/