Re: Review WAP 2.0 Arch.

At 09:45  11/04/01 +0900, Johan Hjelm wrote:
>I can tell you have not read the WAP 2 spec, which: * Uses HTTP * Uses
>XHTML * Uses CC/PP
>* Uses CSS   Backward compatibility with legacy WAP 1 technology *IS* by
>the use of gateways and special servers. Do read it, it is interesting.
>
>Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>>... abandon WAP 2 and create WAP 3 as a set of profiles of web and
>>Internet standards for mobile devices ... avoid features which would be
>>difficult to implement on mobile devices, but not introduce any new
>>technology. As an example WML would be abandoned and XHTML used,
>>exploiting accessibility features to work on mobile devices ...

My apologies. As you suggest, I made my comments without having read the
WAP 2 specification. Having read it I agree WAP 2 adds more general
Internet standards, but there is WAP 1 baggage left behind.

The draft specification
<http://www1.wapforum.org/tech/documents/WAP-210-WAPArch-20001017-p.pdf>
refers to common Internet standards, such as UDP, HTTP and XHTML, but
alongside WAP specific standards such as WDP, WTP and WML. In other cases
profiles of common standards are referred to, such as WP-TCP.

It is not clear from my reading if a WAP profile could be defined which
left out the WAP specific technology and only included that from generally
supported Internet standards.

One interesting possibility is that I-mode content might be WAP compatible,
since I-mode uses the cHTML subset of HTML
<http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-compactHTML-19980209/> and WAP 2 allows for
XHTML.

I intend to look at the implications of this for an Australian National
University course, in the next few weeks
<http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/wd.html>. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Tom Worthington FACS tom.worthington@tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd ABN: 17 088 714 309
http://www.tomw.net.au PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
Visiting Fellow, Computer Science, Australian National University
Publications Director & Past President, Australian Computer Society
Small Business e-Commerce, 21 May: http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/esb